Want to build your own system, but don’t know where to start?
Get inspired to grow your own food by building your own aquaponic system and learn what you need to make it a success.
This workshop will help participants understand the key principles and components necessary for growing fish and plants together in a recirculating soil-less system. It is geared toward people who want to build their own aquaponic system but don't know where to begin. We will provide in-depth coverage of the system components and activities necessary to start building an aquaponics system, successfully cycle it and optimize growing. The course will include detailed discussions about:
- Benefits of Aquaponics
- Fish and Plant selection and health
- System cycling, bacteria and the nitrification cycle
- System Design Ratios
- Different system designs: flood and drain, deep water culture, and vertical systems
- Growbed styles, media, pumps, aerators, plumbing fittings and all other components
- Planning your location
- System management and optimization
Participants will also be able to tour Flourish Farm, our 3,200 sf aquaponics farm, and see one of the most successful and highly productive urban aquaponic farms in the US.
8:30am - Student Check-in
9:00am - Meet in Growasis - CA & GrowHaus mission, student goals, aquaponic benefits
9:30am - Morning lecture - Aquaponic fundamentals, system types, components, fish and plant health, system cycling
12:00pm - Group Lunch - Student introductions and open discussion
1:00pm - Tour Flourish Farm - Discuss basics of farm scale aquaponics
2:00pm - Small group 1 hour workshops. The students split into two smaller and rotate through each workshop.
- Build it workshop - Space planning, system build, plumbing and bell siphon dynamics, design ratios, adding sump tanks and expanding your food production.
- Run it workshop - Water testing, fish feeding, pest management, plant health, nutrient additions, troubleshooting and optimization
4:00pm - Wrap-up - Open Q and A session, Final thoughts