Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

This is a single barrel concept that I put together for students and local gardening club to be able to recreate. It works really well and is really easy to do. 

Views: 4683

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This looks like a very nice and simple setup. Good Job!

Mike, thanks for the info. I am new to aquaponics and looks like this would be one of the easier designs that I have seen. Could you send me the specs on the build please?

Nice little set up.  I may have to steal this as well.

Tony, were you able to get the plans for this setup? It's pretty straightforward I know, but it's always useful to have someone else's notes to work with.

Tony Pezzolo said:

Terrific Mike. I am glad that you havn't forgotton about us. I am still patiently waiting! I have my barrel and have a source for hydroton.

While we are waiting, any advice on quantity of hydroron to buy?

Thank you!

I'm currently doing this, as we speak.

It's very simple, there are a few things missing, though.

Here's my parts list (I just created a list from Home Depot's website for most of the plumbing stuff):

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MyHomeDepotList....

1 - 1 in. PVC Pressure S x S x S x S Cross

1 - 1 in. PVC Sch. 40 90-Degree Slip x Slip Elbow

1 - 1 in. PVC Slip x Slip Coupling

1 - 1 in. x 1/2 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Spigot x FIPT Bushing

4 - 1 in. PVC Slip Cap

1 - 3 in. x 2 ft. PVC Sch. 40 DWV Solid-Core Pipe

1 - 2 in. x 1-1/2 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Spigot x Slip Bushing

1 - 1-1/2 in. x 1 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Spigot x Slip Bushing

1 - 3 in. PVC Cap

1 - Watts 1/2 in. x 1/2 in. Plastic Barb x Male Adapter

1 - Watts 1/2 in. x 10 ft. Clear PVC Tubing

1 - 1 in. x 10 ft. PVC Schedule 40 Plain-End Pipe

1 - 50 Liter bag of Hydroton/Plant!t

1 - 160GPH pump (http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-AAPW160-160-GPH-Active-Submersible/...)

2 - 1" Uniseal seals (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=32326&gclid=COn9... maybe.. not sure, mine were given to me)

1 - 55 Gallon barrel

--- 

That's a pretty complete parts list, excluding lights.

So, here's what you do:

--- Barrel Preparation ---

1 - Cut the barrel across about 1/3 of the way

2 - Cut a hole for feeding the fish in the side of the barrel.  Obviously, remember, that the lowest point of the hole is the highest point of the water.  So, don't go too low. (:

3 - Make two holes for your Pipes, on the bottom of the grow bed.

4 - Cut your 1" PVC pipe into sections to make the cross support for your grow bed. These plugs into the 1 in. PVC Pressure S x S x S x S Cross

5 - Put your 1" end caps on

--- Pump Preparation ---

6 - Put your 1" x 1/2" PVC Pressure Spigot x FIPT Brushing in the 1" PVC Slip x Slip coupling

7 - Put your 1/2" x 1/2" Plastic Barb x Male Adapter in your 1" x 1/2" PVC Pressure Spigot x FIPT Brushing

8 - Connect your 1/2" Clear PVC Tubing to your Plastic Barb

9 - Connect your 1/2" Clear PVC Tubing to your pump.

10 - Insert your uniseals and pipes (one for the bell siphon, and one for the pump water outlet)

--- Bell Siphon --- 

11 - Connect your 1-1/2 in. x 1 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Spigot x Slip Bushing to your 1" PVC for your Bell Siphon

12 - Connect your 2 in. x 1-1/2 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Spigot x Slip Bushing to your 1-1/2 in. x 1 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Spigot x Slip Bushing

13 - Cut your 2" PVC Pipe to the appropriate height for your siphon (where you want your water level in the grow bed to end).

14 - cut your 3" PVC Pipe to the appropriate height for your siphon, and make your holes for the minimum level of water in your grow bed (where the water seal breaks for the Bell Siphon)

15 - Put your 3" PVC Slip Cap on your 3" PVC Pipe to prevent things from falling in.

--- Pump Outlet Preparation ---

16 - Connect your 1" PVC Slip x Slip Coupling to the 1" PVC pipe for your pump

17 - Connect your 1 in. PVC Sch. 40 90-Degree Slip x Slip Elbow to your 1" PVC Pipe

18 - Put your grow bed on top (if it isn't there already)

19 - Wash your hydroton

20 - Fill your fish tank

21 - Fill your grow bed

22 - ...

23 - Profit!

Let me know if I've missed anything!  

Also, for some reason, the PDF that I've linked from Home Depot's website isn't updating with the full list of parts.  My apologies. :(

I've been looking at switching it from 1" PVC to 3/4" PVC, but that would be so I could use rubber grommet's instead of Uniseals.  Not sure how that would work, or  if the pipes would get clogged.

That's a great little system! I've thought " go big or go home" but this will hep me get going:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service